Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The 999 Challenge

For the last year or so I have joined the LibraryThing and am tracking all my newly purchased books and am gradually, very VERY gradually, also adding some of the older books in my library as well. One of the site's groups is dedicated to the 999 Challenge: Members pledge to read 9 books of 9 genres (or authors or any other random theme) in, well, 2009.

This got me thinking about doing something similar for films. So over the course of 2009 I now plan on watching (and writing about) the following categories. Given the theme of this blog I will have this heavily Hammer based of sorts, but there will be some films that will be outside this blog's general Mission Statement.

1. 9 Hammer Movies
2. 9 Movies directed by Hammer directors (non-Hammer)
3. 9 Movies starring Hammer actors (non-Hammer)
4. 9 Movies starring Hammer actresses (non-Hammer)
5. 9 Giallos
6. 9 Japanese Movies
7. 9 Mario Bava movies
8. 9 Spy Movies
9. 9 Movies to be watched in the cinema (i.e. 5 more than I managed this year, sad I know)

There may of course be some overlap and I may end up e.g. watching a movie directed by a Hammer director and also starring a Hammer actor. In that case I can add this to both categories (but will attempt to limit this kind of duplicate posting). I also may change my mind about one or two of the categories before the New Year starts, but think this is pretty much good to go.

For all you bloggers out there: Anyone feel like joining me? For all of you that do I would recommend we should all open a side bar at our blogs to track all the other participants and we may want to also list those other blogs at the bottom of our update posts.

Let's see who will be the first to finish that challenge in the New Year!

2009 roll on!

12 comments:

Douglas A. Waltz said...

This sounds like fun, but I'm gonna have to swap one of these categories for 9 Jess Franco films I have never seen. Any chance of a comprehensive list of Hammer actors, actresses and directors for us to play with in our movie watching? Thanks Holger!

Anonymous said...

Only nine Hammer movies? I could never manage so few!

Holger Haase said...

Just to clarify: This list is *my* list of 999 films. For your own blogs you pick *any* other list of categories. The common theme would be that we all sign up for this challenge, but the genres/themes are decided by your own interests and needs, not by mine.

As for only 9 Hammers. Well, what can I say? This year I only watched 7 so far. I know, I know....

Robert JE Simpson said...

I'd be up for this... if I can ever get my head round the format of Blogger!

Might steal some of your categories too ;)

I fear one of mine might have to be 9 instalments of the podcast, otherwise I'll get way behind!

Holger Haase said...

Robert, you gotta be part of this! There's no way you can say no. I know you wanta. :-)

Neil D Vokes said...

i'm in-i'm trying to think up a good personal list...;o)

Holger Haase said...

Looks like we have our first fellow blog participant: David Z from TOMB IT MAY CONCERN has just posted his list with an interest twist to it as he doesn't just focus on movies, but on other entertainment media as well. Nice one!!! Check it out @ http://david-z.blogspot.com/2008/12/999-challenge.html

Neil D Vokes said...

I've made my basic list, H2-check 'er out here:
http://vokesfolks.blogspot.com/

Holger Haase said...

Great list, Neil. Looks like we're getting something going here. I am really looking forward to seeing how every one will keep track of that challenge and blog about it. It looks like there will be a lot of creative juices flowing next year. ;-)

I have also opened a special side tab of my blog to track all the participating blogs so far.

Holger Haase said...

And welcome aboard Doug: http://divineexploitation.blogspot.com/2008/12/999-challenge.html

Robert JE Simpson said...

Okay, I've taken you up - got a 999 challenge specific blog set up to help me focus! : http://avalard999.blogspot.com/

God help me! I'll never get all 81 entries completed ;)

Holger Haase said...

Glad to have you on board, Robert. Excellent selection. I was contemplating a Sherlock Holmes section myself at some stage. Over at the LibraryThing site my book 999 challenge indeed includes 9 Holmes or Conan Doyle related books. Oh, and don't forget that you may get the occasional overlap, so you probably don't need exactly 81 films, but a slightly smaller number.