Sunday, May 13, 2007

Universal Hammer

With Kiss of the Vampire and The Curse of the Werewolf I finally finished off the Universal series of Hammer movies that came out about two years ago and made up “The Hammer Horror Series – The Franchise Collection”. I am certainly not the fastest movie viewer in the world and this is one of the main reasons I never pre-order anything.

I also just added a paragraph or two from my Flixster Evil of Frankenstein review for the first set of capsule reviews that one of these days I intend to expand to more in depth reviews for the Hammer Glamour site.

On that site I have previously reviewed the following movies from the Collection: Phantom of the Opera, Paranoiac and Nightmare.

Still to go: Brides of Dracula and Captain Clegg (Night Creatures).

Much has been written about the faults that some of the discs had. Some films were only playing on certain players, but not on others, but I was fortunate enough not to have experienced any of that. My films were in perfect condition and looked better than I am ever likely to see them again. In actual fact during Don Fearney’s event in January I did have a chance to view Kiss of the Vampire on the big screen and was shocked to see how reddish the print was, far from the print available on those discs. Yes, it would be great if the DVDs had some extras, but at least those films did finally become available to the general public.

If you’re a Hammer Fan and haven’t yet purchased the set, there really is no excuse for it. What are you waiting for?

2 comments:

Darci said...

Seeing your note about Marie Devereux (June 23, 2011) reminded me I haven't seen your review for Brides of Dracula?
Thanks!
Darci

Holger Haase said...

Thanks for reminding me. ;-)

First of all the Hammer Glamour website is no longer around. I am gradually transferring all the material over from there to this blog so I could pretend that the BRIDES review is amongst the reviews that still need to be carried over.

Truth, however, is that I never came around to it.

Which makes this officially broken blog/review promise number 28 (or thereabouts). ;-)